Memorial Day is here.
Even on a Monday the police will be out in force. There will be major traffic. As people relax things can also be hectic and tense. There is a good chance people will crack open some alcohol to celebrate the weekend. This mix of all these can lead to trouble for some people.
People make bad decisions. It is a flaw that we all have. These decisions are all too frequent:
-Risk driving home while you have a drink or two more than normal leading to a San Diego DUI investigation.
– Flip off the guy behind you while you are waiting for a parking spot at a beach that leads to a confrontation leading to a battery.
– Intensify a fight between your significant other that leads to a monster fight leading to a domestic violence investigation.
– A minor hanging at the beach with a bottle of beer in their possession leading to a minor in possession.
These are but a few of the handful of decisions that normal people can get in trouble. The traffic and intense police presence makes for a perfect storm.
1. Plan ahead- As you enjoy the weekend, the key is to plan ahead. If there is a smidge of a chance you may drink more get your uber ready or find a designated driver. Do not risk the drive home. Police are out and every traffic stop is a potential DUI investigation this weekend.
2. Use your rights- Do not think being cool with a police officer is going to get you out of trouble or get you some love (it happens every blue moon but dont count on it). Just be cooperative but make no statements. Telling the officer everything may get you some looser handcuffs but will make any criminal investigation worse. This is true even if you feel you are not San Diego DUI but may have had a few. The police will do their job and if they feel you may be impaired they will error on the side of arresting you.
3. Enjoy the weekend
Do not get mad or let your temper or expectations get you in a bad situation. DE-ESCALATE a fight. Do not let a fight ruin your day. Nothing is worse than hearing a client say they were having a great day “UNTIL”. Let it go and continue enjoying the day. Dont cap memorial day with an arrest.
As I write this we all know people will be making bad decisions this weekend (usually alcohol involved) and be getting arrested. People make the wrong choice in a world of small decisions that have far reaching unintended consequences.
I say all to myself as well…..because I am sometimes the guy who wants to flip off the guy behind me when I am waiting for a parking spot at the beach. Enjoy the weekend and I hope the weekend goes great. Below is some more tips on enjoynig your memorial day.
If you are charged with a San Diego DUI or other Criminal offense, you need to call our firm immediately. We are available to take action on your case today. Please email or call us at (858) 751-4384 or email me at [email protected] to schedule a free consultation. The key is to be proactive.
Below is an article about the current DUI arrests over the weekend by the CHP.
So far this Memorial Day weekend, the CHP put out statistics for the period from 6 p.n. Friday, May 22 to 6 a.m. Sunday, May 24.
DUI statistics are only for county roads patrolled by the California Highway Patrol and freeways; fatality statistics are for all areas in the county.
There have been 52 DUI arrests in San Diego County, compared with 48 arrests last year at this time.
Statewide, there were 746 arrests during this reporting period, compared with 822 at this time last year; there were nine fatal crashes, compared with 14 last year.