We remain open and steadfast in our commitment to helping our clients during these difficult days.

Proven Approach With Results Forged Through Experience

Image of attorney Mark L. Deniz

How can out of state drivers deal with a San Diego DUI?

On Behalf of | Jul 23, 2015 | Firm News |

San Diego is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the United States. People from out of state come to San Diego to visit the beaches, attend conventions, and the numerous other activities that make San Diego a destination. However, someone can run into an unfortunate situation while visiting that got law enforcement involved. If this happens do not hesitate to call the Law Offices of Mark Deniz at 858-751-4384 for a free case evaluation.

The California DMV has a myriad of ways to be evil to those arrested or convicted of a DUI. One of the biggest sources of frustration is when an out of state resident gets a DUI here and goes back to their home state and get a letter in the mail explaining their license is suspended and will not be restored unless they complete an in state DUI program, in California. Or another example is the person gets a DUI in California — then moves to another state where they satisfy the terms of your court ordered probation by waiting out the suspension period and completing an out-of-state DUI Program. They then find that regardless of whether you move back to California, no DMV in the country will give you driver’s license. What are your options?.


Answer: You have two options (1) stay in California and complete the alcohol classes, or (2) move to another state and waive your “privilege” to drive in California.

So long as you live in California, California DMV will never accept completion of an alcohol class from another state. The class must be taken in California even if the court accepted an out-of-state program in satisfaction of probation. Note: DMV & Court are separate.

If you move out-of-state, you can call DMV Mandatory Actions Unit in Sacramento, California, at (916) 657-6525 and ask for a “1650 waiver packet.” They will only mail this packet to the licensee at an out-of-state address (you will also have to prove you live out-of-state with a utility bill or such). This waiver allows out-of-state licensees to drive in California, but does not allow the out-of-state licensee to acquire a California license within 3 years of filing the waiver. One can only qualify for the 1650 waiver once in a lifetime as of March of 2005. The 1650 Waiver removes the California hold, assuming an SR22 is also on file with DMV.

If you come back to California within 3-years and want your license back, you will have to take the applicable in state California DUI class.

Navigating clients through the DUI process is one of our goals here at the firm.  If you have been arrested for a DUI be proactive and call 858-751-4384.

FindLaw Network
Share This