We Will Help You Fight Weapons Charges
Proven Approach with results forged by Experience.
Weapons and felons in possession of weapons charges are serious offenses in California, as the majority of weapons charges are felonies. Determining whether the charge against you is a felony or misdemeanor depends on three factors:
- What type of weapon was in your possession upon arrest?
- What was your intent with the weapon?
- Do you have any prior criminal convictions?
I have ample experience in these cases as a former veteran prosecutor. The government will vigorously prosecute these cases, even if you have a legal firearm (and even if you are active or former military). If you have a valid out-of-state concealed weapon permit, California law enforcement does not honor that permit, and you will be prosecuted in most cases. I have over 10 years of experience as a defense lawyer and former prosecuting attorney of weapons charges in San Diego. I offer free case evaluations, free initial consultations and affordable payment plans to all of my clients. Top-notch criminal defense representation is not just for the wealthy. I am responsive to your immediate legal needs, and I serve clients charged with carrying a concealed weapon and other weapons offenses throughout San Diego County, from Encinitas to Chula Vista.
Weapons Charges In San Diego
The following list of offenses includes a broad range of weapons, including firearms, knives, brass knuckles and more items used improperly.
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle
- Aggravated assault with a deadly weapon
- Possession of a weapon by a convicted felon
- Firing or shooting an object into an occupied building
- Selling a firearm illegally
- Possession of an assault weapon
Consequences And Penalties Of Weapons Charge Conviction
A weapons charge conviction can severely impact the rest of your life, including negative impacts on your job opportunities, educational opportunities, limits on a place of residence and other rights, criminal record and the severity of any future criminal charges. Misdemeanor charges include penalties of a fine of up to $1,000 and possible jail time of up to one year. Felony charges include jail or prison time ranging from one to 20 years. Your prior criminal record and the specific circumstances of your case will be factored into any conviction sentencing.
Get Proactive Defense To Protect Your Freedom
Possible defenses in your case may include:
- Improper or illegal search and seizure of weapons
- Self-defense weapons use
- Accidental firing of a weapon
- Nonownership of the weapon in your possession