Proven Approach With Results Forged Through Experience

Mark L. Deniz, Esq.

Getting A Certificate Of Rehabilitation

Last updated on June 3, 2024

A certificate of rehabilitation is literally, as its name suggests, a finding by a judge that someone is rehabilitated.  This finding allows the individual certain things (relief from 290 registration being the most significant) and automatically qualifies one to apply for a governor’s pardon.  The process is very complex and few law firms handle these cases with the skill needed to deliver results.  The Law Offices of Mark Deniz is proud to handle  Certificate of Rehabilitation matters.  Contact us for a free consultation at 858-751-4384.

Obtaining A Certificate Of Rehabilitation

A certificate of rehabilitation is a certificate stating that someone has been rehabilitated. This certificate, issued by a judge, may allow in certain cases an individual to obtain relief from sex offender registration and also qualifies the individual for pardon by the governor. However, the process of obtaining a certificate of rehabilitation is quite complicated.

Fortunately, the criminal defense law firm of The Law Offices of Mark Deniz APLC is proud to handle and excel all matters pertaining to certificates of rehabilitation. We can determine whether you qualify for one, and will handle all the steps in the process on your behalf.

Who Qualifies For A Certificate Of Rehabilitation?

Generally speaking, you may qualify for a certificate of rehabilitation if:

  • The state convicted you of a felony offense
  • The state convicted you of a misdemeanor sex offense
  • You were granted probation, your probationary period has ended, and you have obtained an expungement
  • You were sentenced to prison, and you have been discharged from parole
  • You have continuously resided in the state of California for at least the last five years immediately preceding filing of the petition
  • You have remained law abiding for the last seven years (for most) or 10 years if a sex crime

California Penal Code § 4852.05 states that a judge can award a certificate if:

“The person shall live an honest and upright life, shall conduct himself or herself with sobriety and industry, shall exhibit a good moral character, and shall conform to and obey the laws of the land.”

When you contact The Law Offices of Mark Deniz APLC, we can assess your case to determine whether you can apply for a certificate of rehabilitation. Then, we can help you understand what you need to do to obtain it.

Learn More In A Free Consultation

To schedule an appointment to speak with an attorney, contact 858-429-9982 in San Diego today. We provide free initial consultations – you have no risk and no obligation to speak to us about your certificate of rehabilitation. Call The Law Offices of Mark Deniz APLC or send us an email today.