We remain open and steadfast in our commitment to helping our clients during these difficult days.

Proven Approach With Results Forged Through Experience

Image of attorney Mark L. Deniz

Facing California DUI Charges But Live In Another State?

San Diego is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the United States. People from out-of-state come to San Diego to visit the beaches, attend conventions and the numerous other activities that make San Diego a destination. However, someone can run into an unfortunate situation while visiting, which gets law enforcement involved. If this happens do not hesitate to call The Law Offices of Mark Deniz APLC at 858-429-9982 for a free case evaluation.

Out-Of-State Licensing Issues

  • If you are arrested for a San Diego DUI, but your license was issued by a state other than California, the police cannot take away your driver’s license. Do not ignore the charge. You will be suspended by the California DMV. These suspensions are reported back to your home state via the IDLC or Interstate Driver’s License Compact.
  • You can suffer suspension or revocation of your home state driving privileges. The penalties for this vary by state.
  • If you live in another state, but get a San Diego, you should contact The Law Offices of Mark Deniz APLC at 858-429-9982 for a free case evaluation.

If You Move From San Diego To Another State

Someone may have pled guilty to a DUI and, for a variety of reasons, moved out of state. What do you do? You are likely scared that you will be forced to stay in San Diego to complete the programs necessary for a DUI. After you move, you must maintain the SR-22 as though you still live in California. Also, your insurance policy for your new state must have liability minimums as required by law in California. This applies even if you move to Delaware, Kentucky, Minnesota, New Mexico, Oklahoma or Pennsylvania, which are states that do not have SR-22 insurance. Speak to an attorney about possible defenses after being charged with a DUI.

A Possible Scenario And What To Do

Scenario: After being charged with DUI in California you move out of state. There you finish an out of state DUI program. Now you can’t get a license in ANY state. What do you do?

Answer: You can “waive” the privilege to ever drive in California or you can opt to stay in California until after you complete the required alcohol classes. Our state does not accept other, out-of-state alcohol programs. It is important to note that the DMV is separate from the California court system.

You can call the DMV and ask for a “1650 waiver packet” which may remove the hold on your license. Order the 1650 Waiver form and DL 300 from DMV by calling 916-657-6576 or fax 916-657-5942. You cannot return to California and drive for three years. If you do move back before that you will have to complete the California alcohol program.

You could also request this waiver from the Mandatory Actions Unit of the DMV in Sacramento. Prove that you live out of state by providing an official document (such as a utility bill) that shows you live in another state.

You can also choose to terminate your California driver’s license. Get answers to your DUI questions on this site or in a free consultation.

Work With An Attorney Who Understands The Many Possible Scenarios

Contact me, attorney Mark Deniz, at The Law Offices of Mark Deniz APLC now for a free case evaluation. You can also call me at 858-429-9982. I will walk you through the steps you need to take and let you know what your options are.